Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Scholarly Paper Project:: FACEBOOK

http://search.proquest.com/eric/docview/61804953/12DB50B62BB75288F21/5?accountid=10901
http://search.proquest.com/eric/docview/757169703/12DB50B62BB75288F21/2?accountid=10901

The first article that I found was titled, "Facebook: The New Classroom Commons?". It basically just talks about the boundaries between students and teachers. It discusses the relationships and if it is appropriate to have their students on their facebook, email, and text. Since we depend so much on technology these days, we really need at least one of these avenues and the most common one today is email. A lot of the time teachers do not have their students on facebook until after they graduate just so that they are sure they are not seeing anything that they should not be seeing. 

The next article that I found was titled, "Facebook vs. Twitter: Battle of the Social Network Stars." This article talks about the competition between facebook and twitter. Some libraries use either twitter or facebook or neither. It basically just talks about people who are researching which social network outlet is more suited for the library atmosphere.

10 comments:

  1. It depends on the age. I do not agree that children under the age of 18 should have a facebook in the first place. But if they do I do not agree that they should have their teachers as a friend. Thats very creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont think that teachers should even be allowed to have a facebook. Having your students as your friends is just a little wierd too. If teachers and students need to communicate they just simply need their number or email address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is very odd for teachers and students to be friends on Facebook for non educational purposes. I think it comes to cross a line of privacy that students and teachers should not need to worry about. I feel that if it were to be used, the teacher would need to setup a group intended for education purposes only.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is definitely true that any of the technological avenues is necessary in today’s world. For some reason, some people connect more on their facebook and twitter than their actual emails. So in reality these avenues (social networks) might be convenient and quick. However, I do not think teachers should have their students on either of these social networks. It gets to the point that teachers need to protect themselves from all the craziness they can get from students, parents, and administrative staff. Teachers are educators not going to meet in “place for friends.” Teachers must remain professional to their students and allowing students into their personal lives is asking for trouble or a form of disrespect. As the news show, teachers are getting in enough trouble by these networks. I will think twice about having a facebook when I become a teacher.

    I don’t know how libraries might use this. But I think twitter is good way for schools, not independent teachers, to communicate news to parents and students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had one teacher in high school who had a rule that her students were not allowed to sit in her chair (behind her desk) until they graduated. Some of her former students would come in to visit her and they would sit in her chair just because they could - it was like a right of passage, almost. I think the same rule should apply to teachers and students being "friends" or "following" each other on social networking sites. It is my opinion that there is no way that students and teachers can maintain the same level of respect for one another if they are involved in each other's personal lives via a social networking tool, and that lessens the effectiveness of the learning environment.

    I take the same stand when it comes to my co-workers. I manage a bank, and while an associate is one of my current employees, I do not allow them to be in my social networking circle. I think that this makes my job easier, and I do not have to worry about an associate knowing too much about me, or vice versa. I do have former associates on my "friends" lists, and it has provided me a way to keep in contact with these individuals, but there is no longer a conflict of interest, and does not effect my job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also do not agree that teachers and students should be friends on Facebook. When you have your teacher as a friend on Facebook, that Teacher-Student relationship has been taken to a different level. When this happens, teachers will have to worry about censoring their status updates and making sure they don't include personal information. If a teacher and a student had a good relationship throughout school and want to continue their friendship after they graduate, then that is acceptable. But while in school, there should be boundaries. If teachers begin to add students on Facebook, then they should just give out their cell phone numbers at the beginning of the year. In my opnion, it's the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with most that teachers and students shouldn’t be friend on facebook. Unfortunately many people post things in facebook that sometimes are inappropriate, in order to keep a healthy and respectful relationship I think that the boundary should not be crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont agree with teachers and students being friends on facebook because as previously stated some innappropriate things are posted and said through facebook that are meant to stay between friends that can jeopordize both teachers in their careers and students in their academic studies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know of teachers that have class facebook pages and it works! It is naive to think students are not using these things. I think if done right, it could be a good approach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really approve myself when I see young children having Facebook. I mean what is the point of it?! And teachers being friends with students on Facebook sounds even worse. Even though it all really depends if the teachers page is completely private but then again there will be pictures and status updates that will be made. This is where I think it makes Facebook interaction between students and teachers unnecessary. The students do not need to see the teachers personal life updates.

    ReplyDelete